Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mommy Tip - Diaper Rash

Thomas had a horrible diaper rash last week.  It started last Sunday and was bleeding by Monday morning.  Every time I wiped his bum he cried out in pain.  I felt horrible for our little man and booked a doctor's appointment pronto for Tuesday morning.  Until then, I browsed online (thank goodness for the web!) and found a few tips.

Air time is very important!  Let the babies bum dry naturally while they play.  I know what all of you moms of boys are thinking!  Yes it is a bit of a game against the pee-pee clock but it's worth it for their sake.  Thomas didn't have any pee accidents.  Unfortunately it was a bit dirtier!  He pooed three times in his crib while we were at home and two times on his blanket in Kingston.  I almost lost my s**t but it all worked out in the end thanks to help from Ryan and my mum.

Another tip was to soak the babies bum in a baking soda bath.  It doesn't say how much to use but you can judge for yourself.  Essentially you want to put enough for there to be a bit of a silky coating on your hands when you test the water. I did this twice a day.

The most amazing tip came from my mums colleagues.  Use cornstarch instead of diaper cream or the useless prescription cream (will get back to that in a minute).  After wiping the babies bottom with a warm wet cloth (avoid harsh wipes) put a thin layer of cornstarch powder on the rash zone.  The diaper should be placed under the bottom to catch any of the excess powder.  Close the diaper up as normal.

This last tip is magical and economical!

The doctor visit on Tuesday morning did nothing to help.  They wrote out a prescription and said goodluck.  The prescription was useless (in my opinion).  It did nothing to soothe or protect the skin from further damage.  I wouldn't recommend it but that is my mommy opinion NOT a medical opinion.

Good luck to the moms battling the diaper rash!

1 comment:

  1. Not sure whether you have this product over there but my top cream for nappy rash is Metanium. Use sparingly and carefully as it stains clothes but even bleeding bottoms are clear by the morning. It's truly amazing. Katy

    ReplyDelete